Monday, December 19, 2011

Six Geese I’m drinking … gulp (umm make that five) - 5th beer of Xmas: Goose Island Mild Winter


This is by far the best pick I have made this winter drinking season.

I could drink this beer all day long. Consider it my new favorite … that is until tomorrow …

I joined the Goose Island fan club last May at Remy’s in Fenway enjoying some Sox, suds and nachos. The Windy City seems to have their act together when it comes to beer and I am happy to report their winter offering did not disappoint.

The Deets:
Style: American Mild Ale
ABV: 5.6%
International Bitterness Units: 28
Hops: Willamette, Tettnang
Malts: 2-Row, Carapils, Dark Chocolate, Roast Barley, Rye Flake

The Pour:
Light brown, maple syrup / dark honey color. Two fingers of head, no lacing.

Nose:
Not super strong, but what’s there draws you in. Fresh baked bread, a little nuttiness and some grass…maybe some apricot towards the end??

Sip:
YES YES YES!!! A nice change up from the winter beers I have been drinking. The taste is not aggressive or overly malty or bitter. No coffee tones to be found. It’s crisp, light and refreshing. It reminds me of a #9 with a roasted grain aftertaste that stays on the sides of your tongue. This brew is really well balanced and biscuity. I am a huge-HUGE fan.

This would be a crowd pleaser for multiple palates. It’s very light on the mouth feel, isn’t filling and I would expect would pair nicely with a lot of foods at a holiday gathering, tackling most buffets.

Goose Island suggests fontina or gruyere cheese as a pairing.

Not surprising, the Mild Winter scored a B+ on Beeradvocate – but I am upping the ante and giving this six pack of geese an A+.

Drinking in the season has never tasted this good.

No comments: