Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The 3rd Beer of Xmas: Slumbrew's Porter Sq. Porter


Slumbrew’s Porter Square Porter
6.5% ABV
31 IBU


Back-to-back posts of hyper New England beers.

Today I am giving a nod towards my NEW backyard brewer, Slumbrew.

I reside in Somerville, Massachusetts known for its dog-friendly, boutique, foodie, hipster atmosphere. Neighboring city-dwellers often scoff at Somerville, referring to it as “Slumerville,” I assume this is where they pulled the name. I say to those finger pointers – ‘Ha! I pay less for rent and it’s easier for me to find parking -- so get outta my square.’

Regional politics aside, Somerville is located just north of Boston and has great restaurants and beer bars, come visit! (Sorry for those who live outside of Boston, you probably won’t be able to get your hands on this Porter)

According to its website Slumbrew has been 15-years in the making. From extensive beer tasting, traveling, and trial and error, founders Caitlin Jewell and Jeff Leiter finally birthed Slumbrew this year, and are partnering with regional breweries (like Ipswich) to create and bottle their suds for wide spread commercial release. Their mission is to brew unique, ingredient-driven beers that challenge common notions of what a beer should taste like.

Well, I’m in.

I picked up two bombers from Jerry’s Liquors in Union Square and brought them to an early Christmas party for a tasting. (Locals this beer is also available on tap at the Foundry and Johnny D’s. Like them on facebook for more deets)

The pour:
It has a foamy, two-finger, light brown head with some staying power. It took about a minute to taper down. A thin line of lacing now remains and I think it’s here for good. No light is passing through this thing. It’s as black as midnight.

Nose:
At first I get wafts of coffee, chocolate and molasses … followed by the faint smell of metal and then finally dry oats.

Taste:
This first sip is bitter with a roasted, smoky malt flavor. Second sip, here comes the dark chocolate. It feels like I bite into baker’s chocolate, or something with a very high cocoa content … ah-ha! Then I read the label:

“Brewed with cocoa powder and conditioned with cacao nibs from Taza Chocolate…”

Taza Chocolate is stone ground organic chocolate ALSO made in Somerville. Now the taste makes perfect sense. Could I be drinking a fresher, more local product? Doubtful. Just put some marshmallow Fluff on the top and let’s celebrate. YES, Somerville also founded Fluff … Google that shizz.

The aftertaste is a strong, like espresso. This porter covers your whole tongue and is somewhere between medium and full bodied. It’s creamy and dry. Now that I am halfway through the bomber, my face is flushed with tavern tan and I feel warm and cozy, but not full. This is a good thing.

Foodage:
If I was doing an easy night in, I would pair this with a stinky blue cheese. My mom’s salty shepherd’s pie, with a good layer of sharp cheddar cheese on the top would also be pretty amazing.

Overall I liked the Porter Square Porter and I am excited to see what else Slumbrew puts out. I will be on the lookout – Grade B+

Slumbrew.com
tazachocolate.com
marshmellowfluff.com

No comments: