Monday, December 19, 2011

4 Calling Beers (Birds)... starring Hooker and the Heartland.


Brewery: Heartland Brewery
Style: Strong Ale
ABV: 8%


We're getting close the end of our little countdown... so I wanted to do something special for good ol' #4 on our list. And before I start anything, I have to point out that this next beer would not be possible without my sister, Christine... She found this little gem (thanks to my other sister, Beth) at the HEARTLAND BREWERY located at Union Square in NYC (among other NY sites). I have to admit, one of the reasons, Kate and I wanted to do this blog is to help educate people that might be nervous about trying a new beer or simply just want to learn more about craft beer in general. Honestly, since we've started this blog I feel like I've learned so much more. And yet, there's still a ton that can be taught. Next week, my buddy Joe and I are kegging up our FIRST homebrew - a Bourbon Barrel Aged Oatmeal Stout. An Oatmeal Stout recipe with French Oak Cubes soaked in Jim Beam's Devil's Cut Bourbon (thanks to knowledgable and beautiful @MichelleFunaro for the bourbon suggestion).

Shoot, where was I... oh yeah. So Kate and I wanted to educate people on what's out there. Well - this next beer is more for the NY folks that read Beer411. I'm not sure how accessible this is in CT, MA and beyond.

So Christine brought me home a bomber of the Special Edition, Old Red Nose Ale from the Heartland Brewery in NYC. The website had 5.5% ABV but the bottle said, 8%. Perhaps because it was a Special Edition. It poured a dark amber color, with about two fingers of tan head. The clarity was also very murky... Even noticed a little sediment towards the end of the pour. I suppose if we are grading on prettiness, this would be a bad thing... but I ain't skurrrd. I'm going in.

The smell is very inviting... Sweet malts, spices and a slight orange/ginger zest are all present. Given the ABV, the sweet smell is probably attributed to some of the booziness that'll come with the taste. After all it is a Strong Ale.

DE-LI-CIOUS. Wow. There's a party in my mouth. But its not the kind of party where someone drinks too much early in the night and is a jerk. Or where the uninvited kids show up only to cause problems. No, no... everyone is getting along here. The sweet and spicy notes continue on the taste with a solid malty backbone. You get more of the roastiness as well. The most noticeable attribute is the warmth that I'm getting from the alcohol. This was my first beer of the night and half way through, I had a nice warmth from all of the booze. I also have to point out how smooth this drank.

REALLLY only for the NY folks... but if you have any friends or family in the NY area or are travelling to NY for the holiday, there are SEVERAL Heartland Brewery locations: (http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/). Tis the season for the Old Red Nose Ale.

Overall: A-




Buuuut for those of you that have no such access to the NYC area... I have a little something for you too.

Brewery: Hooker Brewery
Style: Herbed/Spice Beer/Lager
ABV: 6%


I have a decent memory. But I usually have to write a lot of things down. And thanks to my smartphone, most things are easily remembered. CT's own Hooker Brewery is one of those beers that is good but sometimes not memorable. I really enjoy their Munich beer, Liberator, Octoberfest, and IPA... none of which I think to grab off the shelves first, but again, very good in my opinion.

(...And if you have the pleasure of joining them on the 1st or 3rd Friday of the month, they will treat you to one of their open houses from 5pm-8pm, $10. You get a Hooker glass and get to sample some of the freshest beer you will EVER have. One time, I was getting an explanation from one of the brewers in front of the fermenting tank, when he attached a pigtail to the tank and started give people a sample of their Octoberfest. To this day, this was the best Octoberfest I've EVER had. Check out their website... DEFINITELY worth stopping by if you are looking to get the party started on a Friday night.)

But here we have their Winter offering, the Nor'Easter. The pour follows suit of most of our Winter Lagers. Copper color... but surprisingly not much head on this beer at all. Only a thin white lacing near the top of the glass.

The smells are that of caramel, and... Apple Pie? Yeah, it makes sense. Malty, Bready sweetness as well with some brown sugar notes.

Spicy, yet balanced on the taste. There's a little clove going on here to join along with the sweet biscuitiness. Not sure what the IBUs are but definitely aren't very noticeable here, but that doesn't bother me one bit. Really enjoying the malt and spicy apple notes... like an apple pie right out of the oven. Did not think this was going to be well carbonated due to the pour, but was pleasantly surprised. Very nice.

For the CT people (or anyone else that has access to the Hooker Brewery), this in my mind is an absolute home run. There's a bit of extra sweetness that I got in this Winter Lager that I haven't really gotten yet this season. It's not that high in ABV, or bitter, or hopped... just a real solid Winter Lager. Pick this up for any holiday party... home or with work friends and you will look like a million bucks. Look at you... you with the tasty beer... supporting local economy... I purposely bought a six pack for this tasting, but you can believe that this is my staple for the rest of the season. Nice work, guys.

Overall: A-

Website: http://www.hookerbeer.com/

No comments: