Friday, July 1, 2011

Sugar, Oh’ honey, honey ….


Rapscallion Honey Wheat
Style | ABV
American Pale Ale (APA) | 4.50% ABV

This is my new favorite go-to-brew and it has replaced Magic Hat #9 in my heart.

The best part about this beer is that since it’s is brewed in Holyoke, Mass., I can find it on tap at almost any decent beer bar in the city and it’s not seasonal, so I can drink it year round. That said, I think this sud is PERFECT for the summer.

This is the only offering I have had from Rapscallion and I am looking to get my hands on their other beers soon.

I was out at Stoddards Fine Food & Ale in the theatre district to celebrate Drink Craft Beer’s 5th anniversary. The bash brought together, what seemed like more than 200 beer lovers to raise money for cancer through PINTS for prostates. The free apps were flowing and so was the beer.

While Stoddards is a great place to get your hands on something new and exciting, the bar was jammed and it just so happened that the tap right in front of me was my new standby – I took it as fate and I ordered it.

She pours slightly hazy golden with little to no head. This beer is so well carbonated that the bubbles don’t allow for much of a froth. The nose is wildflowers, sweet honey and a little grassy. Don’t let the ‘honey’ in the name fool you – this beer is not overly sweet.

The mouthfeel is crisp and fizzy. The bubbles get all over your mouth like seltzer water and zests up to your nose. This pale ale has the right balance of hops for my palate with a fresh taste of wheat, honey, tea and a fruity finish. It is very drinkable and refreshing and pairs well with most pub food. At 4.50 % ABV, it’s ok to order more than just one.

Grade: A

Try it this weekend.
Have a happy and safe 4th everyone - salud!

No comments: