Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Longest Day of the Year Deserves a Good Beer - Cisco Grey Lady


Cisco Grey Lady
4.50% ABV

On the official first day of summer I am drinking the Cisco Grey Lady AND I think I am in love.

The Belgian White (Witbier) beer from Nantucket, Mass., got beat up in ratings on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer, scoring Cs and Ds from the masses. They called her “boring, flat and weak” … WHAT?!

Well, I am the beer drinker who will fight for her honor.

She came to me on tap, pouring hazy and yellow with a thin white head. The nose is zesty with lemon/orange and cardamom notes and the mouth feel is light, refreshing, well carbonated and delicious. She finishes slightly dry and tart, with bright citrus flavors. It's a thirst quencher and while I am not a purist, I do enjoy a citrus wedge from time to time in my pint - no accessories are needed here. The flavor stands on it's own.

I am very happy with this little lady and plan to invite her out more often.

I paired the beer with a Mediterranean platter from The Foundry in Davis Square, which comes with fresh hummus, warm pita bread, homemade tabbouleh and lemony olives. Consider my evening made. If you haven't been to The Foundry they have a great rotating beer list that pays homage to local breweries and houses some great craft selections. The food also never disapoints.

If you are kicking it at home and are looking for something easy to throw together, I would say a gooey brie or gruyere would go nicely as well. No need to turn on the oven or sweat over the grill.

So, if you need a date on a hot summer night - I say give the Grey Lady a call. She’s the perfect woman and gets a solid A from me.

No comments: