Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Buck the Trends with Lagunitas and Hipster Brewfus


When Tony asked me to be a part of his 12 Beers of Christmas, I knew I had to say “yes.” First, because since the day Brewfus hit the scene, Tony has been stood behind me, supporting me the whole time. Secondly, I haven’t done a beer review in a while, and thought it might be fun to stretch those muscles. And thirdly, it would be kind of a dick move to have said “no.”

So for today’s 6th Beer of Christmas, I bring you Brown Shugga from Lagunitas. Lagunitas is one of those breweries who I know makes good beer, but I very rarely buy. Well, that used to be the story. In the latter half of 2014, Lagunitas has been a go to for me, including a purchase of an entire case of “Sucks.” Which, by the way, I drank entirely too quickly. With the addition of their new brewery location, I am ecstatic that the two brews of theirs I love most, will be available more often than not.

Alright, alright, alright, let me tell you about the beer.

If you didn’t know, Shugga is an American Strong Ale, and if you don’t know what an American Strong Ale is, it’s a beer that tends to be pretty boozy. And at nearly 10%, this beer is pretty damn strong. But that ABV is hidden by the butt load of brown cane sugar dumped into each batch. I bet you just put 2 and 2 together right now, huh?

Seriously though, the sweetness, the malt, the hops, the body, everything in this beer is just 12 ounces of perfect liquid balance, waiting to be poured down into your suck hole. It has a complexity just begging you to sit down and figure out. First its sweet, no wait, it’s kind of hoppy, NO, it’s boozy, NO WAIT...

The worst part about this beer is how easy it is to drink a ton of them and then stand up and realize you are way more drunk than you had intended on getting.

This best part is this beer challenges you to drink it. The waves of intricacies wash over your pallet and remind you that even if you’ve been drinking for 10 days or 10 years, there are some beers, regardless of how many times you drink it, can still force you to be appreciative that breweries like Lagunitas exist.


So yeah, winter is here, and people are getting cozy with their porters and stouts. But I encourage you to buck the trends, and get down with this beer. Because, you know, it tastes so good.

To follow along with Hipster Brewfus on the interwebs, catch up with him on Facebook, Twitter or his website, HipsterBrewfus.com.

#Beer411 #12BeersOfXmas

No comments: