Saturday, September 5, 2009

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen


Brewing Company: Paulaner Salvator Thomasbraeu AG Germany
Style: Oktoberfest
Size: 12 fl oz.
ABV: 5.80%

In lieu of my cousin and I’s fall drinking experiment, I have jumped ship from my normal U.S. October suds to sample Oktoberst from its roots, the Paulaner Salvator Thomasnraeu Oktoberfest, bottled and brewed in Germany. Oktoberfest is a sixteen-day festival held each year in Munich, Germany. It is one of the most famous events in Germany and the world’s largest fair, with some six million people attending every year.

Since I won’t be making the trip via plane this year, I will experience it via palate.

The Paulaner Ocktoberfest has a nice combo of sweet and hops, a strong nose of cinnamon, and a slight licorice finish. As far as fall beers goes, it has good weight -- not too heavy, but thick enough to keep you warm on a crisp fall day. All three friends in company that ordered it liked it, but didn’t get another one, which leads me to score it as a B. If they toned done the sweetness just a tad, I think we would have ordered another round.

No comments: