Thursday, August 11, 2011

What do you mean, JUST craft beer?

Here's a post that I've been meaning to do for a while now. Sit down, class is in session.



BEER WARS:
Every now and again I'll get into conversations with my fellow beerians about what's good, what's on tap, etc. And every now and again, I catch one of my friends, with an Anheuser Busch product.

"Are you kidding me with that beer, " Is my normal retort. And they usually respond with... "What's the big deal?!"

Let me introduce you the documentary that made things a big deal. This, in fact, changed my view point on beer forever.

I knew there were breweries of all shapes and sizes all over the place. But I guess I never really did the math on how big (or small) they really are. And who really are the bigger breweries? This movie is what got my girlfriend and I on the "Say No to Budweiser" kick.

Folks, I get it... you're not always in the Dogfish 90 min or Stone Russian Imperial Stout mood. I get it. (I don't understand it... but I get it.) Sometimes you just want a cheap beer to kick back. But learning about how the bigger boys of the beer world badly bully the brewmaster business around (that was a lot of "B's")... I hope you'll understand my point. Check out my last post about, "Whaler Ale." I just can't support something like that. Once you watch this, perhaps you'll see things as I did. For those that have Netflix, this is readily available to you(Instant Streaming!).

Beer Wars Trailer:


Moral of the story... if you HAVE to go cheap, stick to a Miller Coors product... Go Coors Light if you must. But I implore you (as the Beercoasters say), "DRINK LOCAL!!"




UNTAPPD:
There are times when I'm out with my friends having a beer and they'll see me on my phone as soon as I get a beer. They'll ask me, "What are you doing?" Allow me to introduce you both:

My friends, Untappd... Untappd, my friends.

The Foursquare craz is everywhere... check in here, check in there... Well, Untappd is Foursquare for Beer drinkers. Keep track of WHAT you drink... WHERE you drink it... Make friends... compare notes... even TOAST when you check in! Earn special badges for IPADay, drinking Summer Ales, Being loyal to certain Breweries... AND MORE!!!




BEERCOASTERS PODCAST:
I stumbled across this podcast once I got my new job a few months ago. I found myself at a desk all day long. I noticed that a lot of people here listen to music, talk radio, etc... through their computers. I was getting tired of JUST music, so I found these guys.

Toby, Mike and Chris get together via the interweb to bring you a weekly podcast that enlightens you about all things beer. These guys cover East Coast (Mike), West Coast (Toby) and everywhere in-between(Chris). And every now and then, they'll bring on the occasional special guest! Each week they have their tasting flights, beer reviews, "hop" topics, or even Backwash, which is their listen feedback section.

Tune in TOMORROW to hear the boys tackle my latest post about the infamous "Whaler Ale". You can listen to them by going directly to their website, or find them through the iTunes Store.




BEER CULTURE:
This last item... I have nothing to contribute. But its certainly NEXT on my list. After my weekend in Baltimore at the Dogfish Brewery and the Heavy Seas Brewery, it got me thinking about how alike the craft beer movement is now, and the American Dream when people came to America for a new opportunity. (Again, see my POST about this one!)

Beer Culture Trailer 1 from Free Mind Productions on Vimeo.



CLASS DISMISSED!! Have a great weekend from Beer411! CHEERS!

No comments: