Friday, March 26, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a lot like Springtime



Brewing Company: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Style: IPA
Size: 12 fl oz.
ABV: 7.00%





I had to break down last night. I just couldn't take it anymore.

After the weather we had last week, I have been in a summertime mood like its going out of style. I've been talking up the softball season with my friends... I've been discussing potential trips to take this summer... and I've been talking to my roommate about getting the grill ready... mmmmm Grillin'. But, since Connecticut likes to remind us New Englanders that it's still March by giving us 20-40 degree weather today... I had to take matters into my own hands.

Per the suggestion of Mr. John Gill, I stopped by the packy a few days ago to sample this year's offering of Dogfish's Aprihop. And needless to say, it did not disappoint.

So there I was last night, dusting off the George Foreman grill in my kitchen. The burger hit the pan and the smells of summertime food were in the air; enter delicious beer stage right. As you can see by the above picture, the Aprihop pours a very nice amber color with a white head which quickly dissipates. Now, you have two very obvious factors at this point. The beer is call APRI-HOP. So you can guess that it's going to have some apricot/peach nodes in there with some extra hops to give it a dry Pale Ale type finish to it.

Bingo.

The smells come across with a citrus nose but has definitely a hint of sweetness & maltiness to it. But what's fantastic about this beer is that it's not too sweet. So for all of your Sam Adams Cherry Wheat fans out there, this one isn't for you. But for those that enjoy actually drinking a beer and not getting a cavity, step up to the bar. The hops are also very present as well. But enough about look and smells... let's taste the damn thing.

The name "Aprihop" in my opinion really lends itself to the type of beer you're about to taste. The citrus/apricot/peachy smells work very well with the hoppy bitterness of this variety. While you get the fruitiness of the beer at first, the hops cut the sweetness, which gives a clean, crisp, dry finish.

Now, my cousin as viciously accused me of being a "hop head". Ok, ok... I admit, I love me some hops which could be why I enjoy this Dogfish offering so much (for the daring/curious SEE Dogfish's 90 min or 120 min IPA). But I really don't think it's too hoppy for your average beer goer. And notice that it's only at about 7.0% ABV so in my opinion, it's a great beer to crack at the end of the day. A little sweet, a little crisp, a little bitter, and quite refreshing. So if you are looking for something a little different for the Easter season or just want to get into that Spring/Summer spirit... you know what to drink.

Final Grade: A-

1 comment:

kayteestinch said...

With #9 being one of my favs I will have to give this one a go. I'll let you know if you are off the mark on it now being overly hoppy ... hop-head ;)