Tuesday, December 9, 2014

On the 11th Beer of Xmas, Beer411 heads North



(Photo credit: risingtidebrewing.com)

Polaris from Rising Tide Brewing Company
Barrel aged wheat stout 
7.5 % ABV

(Photo credit: risingtidebrewing.com)

Being a craft beer fan and Connecticut native, I know how lucky I am to have great local craft beer available to me. Before visiting my brother in Maine last week, I did a bit of research before heading north. He actually used to live right across the street from Shipyard Brewing Company, a place I’ve been fortunate to visit on numerous occasions. I was looking at local breweries in the Portland area and came upon Rising Tide Brewing Company. They are located off of Fox St. in the city. Portland is also the home of other breweries like Bissell Brothers and well-known Allagash. Interestingly enough, the latter two are right across the street from each other on Industrial Way, just north of Portland center. It’s truly a treat to have FOUR great brewing companies within 10 minutes of each other. If you’re ever in the Portland area, I highly recommend stopping in!


Alright...onto my review of Polaris, a barrel aged wheat stout from Rising Tide.


Appearance: Black, slight burgundy on the edges, with a half-finger of head that dissipated fairly quickly


Smell: sweet, slightly boozy, as if aged in a wine barrel, a bit of funk! Feels bigger than a 7.5%

Taste: chocolate, molasses, hints of wine, slight cherry flavor, hints of vanilla

Mouthfeel: light body, medium mouthfeel, seems thin for a stout

Finish: Dry

Overall: a pretty good beer...not your typical barrel aged stout, but it has some interesting things going on. Polaris is in limited supply (I picked up 2 bottles, roughly 30 left at the time). From the label: “limited release of 150 cases”.

They released this a week or so before Thanksgiving. I’m interested to see how this beer develops over time...luckily I have that 2nd bottle! I’d give it a 7.5 out of 10. Cheers!


#Beer411 #12BeersOfXmas

No comments: