Thursday, December 18, 2014

4 Calling... Beer Coasters!


"Welcome to the Beer Coasters Podcast, an entirely self-absorbed beer show....wait, wrong Gig."

We usually just record ourselves talking about craft beers each week, but I felt since Tony had been a guest on our show a few times, the least I could do is try and submit something in writing. So far this month I've reviewed two Bière de Gardes and an Imperial IPA and I've been dying for a Porter, Stout or Winter Warmer. I've also noticed this year that quite a few local bars and restaurants have been neglecting these styles on tap this season. So with that said, my submission this month to Beer 411's 12 Beers of Christmas is...what, no drumroll? Fine! I'll be throwing Ipswich Ale's Winter Ale into this Yankee Swap of reviews. Around the holidays there's no better place to be than New England and I thought it would be appropriate to review something seasonal and close to home. This beer is exactly that. Brewed by Ipswich Ale Brewery in Ipswich, Ma. It's an American take on an English Old Ale.


"A British style Old Ale perfect for easing the cold winter months, our Winter Ale offers a malt selection with hints of fig and chocolate, creating the perfect cozy balance of hops and malt." ~Ipswich Ale Brewery

I'll be the judge of that!

Of course, I have to review this the only way I know how..."Beer Coaster's Style!"

Since 1991 Ipswich Ale has been brewing unfiltered and unpasteurized Ales and has been around longer than most craft breweries here in New England.

Specs:

Style: Old Ale

ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 35
Available: Winter

Appearance: Color is a lighter shade of brown ale with some amber highlights. in addition there's a nice "fingersworth" of head (I like to makeup words)

Aroma: Herbal hops, some toffee, fruit (maybe apricot) and some yeasty sweetness in there too.

Taste: Hop forward w/some spices, solid malty backbone (I dig that) and little figgyness as well. It's kind of a winter warmer style beer with some extra hops for good measure.

Food Pairing: Chocolate covered bacon! (I'm pretty sure I just won this 12 beers of Christmas thingy with that pairing)

Ratings: 

Me: (the most important rating) 3.5 out of 5 pints
Beer Advocate users: 82 (good) out of 100
Untappd: 3.34 out of 5 bottle caps

Top three places to drink this beer:
Chucktown Public House in Charlestown, MA
Ruffina's in Chelmsford, MA 
Ironworks Tavern in Warwick, RI

Shoutouts: Ipswich Ale, Tony Leone (@ToeNee11), Matt Girosky (@Matt_Girosky81), @HipsterBrewfus, Brian Stephen from @Malted_Musings, Dan and Kristien from @OmNomCT, Jay from @LeafandYeast, Will Siss from @BeerSnobWrites and the rest of the guest writers that follow.

Thank you for reading my tiny blog post.

PS. "...and remember folks, this is your blog, I'm just drinking in it"

Cheers! 

To check out more from Mike and the Beer Coasters Podcast you can visit them at www.BeerCoastersPodcast.com, FacebookTwitter or YouTube!

#Beer411 #12BeersOfXmas

No comments: